Wednesday 4 February 2015

Tutorial: How to make 28mm scale Miniature Rope / Witch's Skirt WIP


Good evening, folks! I started back into the Witch proper today only to find that I was lacking in the Greenstuff department. "RATS! Will I ever be able to continue my work!?", I cried to the Gods of Miniature Making. It was then I remembered what I had planned on using the lovely Dremel 3000 for that my lovelier other half had gifted me this Christmas. ROPE! It's a relatively simple process of which I will outline below. With pictures no less!

Tutorial: How to Make Miniature Rope

Stage 1: Using .50mm wire (purchased from my local craft shop), I cut two lengths of appropriate size depending on the amount of rope needed. I then placed them side by side and bent one small loop at the same end of both lenghts.




Stage 2: I loosened the dremel bit holder and placed the looped ends into the space. I then inserted a plain bit into the space to hold the wire in place.



Stage 3: I braced the opposite ends with clippers (you can use your hands but clippers would be better as the wires are less likely to slip). Once held fast, turn on the dremel/drill and the wires will wrap around one another. Keep the wire held tight with the clippers and try not to let the wire knot.



There you have it. A rope fit to hang any plastic heretic! Or keep up a skirt, in my case. Ain't nobody wanna see that!



 


So that's it for today. I'll have another look for the greenstuff tomorrow and hopefully I can continue sculpting soon. I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial, I've never quite done anything like it before so let me know what you think. I'm really chuffed to be continuing with the Witch now and the hobby juices are flowing once again!

As always, stay safe, beware Old Night and I hope you'll be by again soon.

-JL


*   *   *   *

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I was glad to see an update on the Witch after all this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, I'm delighted to get back into it myself. It's been sitting in my projects box, ever judging.

      Delete
  2. That's really cool mate. I've struggled with sculpting rope and this is just a perfect tutorial. Cheers.

    Eve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful. I've struggled with it myself and it just clicked the other day whilst browsing for odds and ends in the local craft shop.

      Delete
  3. Very cool idea, thanks for sharing. The witch is looking good too.

    Cheers,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gary. I'm always happy to share new tricks. :)

      Delete