Thursday 9 October 2014

The Hive Ship cometh....




"We live on a placid island of ignorance 
in the midst of black seas of the infinity,
 and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

Paint! Oh my, sweet glorious paint it has been so long! This is a solo shot of one of my Tyranids. I used a limited palette for these guys and tried a few new techniques to really get that bio-terror-y feel across. I think I might come back and darken the recesses later but for now I'll run you through the process.



The Medium

The Entire model was sprayed Skull White. The Fleshy areas were covered with a good healthy dose of Blood for the Blood God (BftBG) (I love this stuff). After the initial coat a second was applied. While this was drying I painted the carapace with two layers of watered down Rakarth Flesh (RF), Once dry I gave the whole model a wash of Reikland Fleshshade, followed by a wash of Agrax Earthshade in the fleshy recesses and carapace cracks. After leaving to dry I then applied a slightly watered wash of Leviathan Purple over all the fleshy areas. Once dry I applied a layer of RF lightly over the raised areas of the carapace, carefully trying to leave the deepest areas, untouched. After this was dry I highlighted the carapace with a layer of Pallid Wych Flesh. I kept these highlights as uneven as possible. Once dry I cleaned up any overspill onto the skin with BftBG. I'll be coming back to touch up the rest of my guys later on with some more washes where needed, to paint in their eyes and to finish basing them.

Let me know what you think!

Until next time, Stay safe and beware of Old Night!

-JL


*   *   *   *













2 comments:

  1. Ooo, some paint! Love the colour scheme and the effect you achieved with washes; looking good already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana. The colour scheme isn't anything new but I like it as well. :) I imagined these Nids' in such a way that if they were to roll up into a ball they would be almost armadillo-esque, with all the sensitive fleshy stuff on the inside, hence the red raw skin-tone and bloody consistency.

      Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you like it so far! :)

      Delete